How blessed you are to be preparing to celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism for your child! We hope you are finding OLOL to be a warm and welcoming faith community where you and your family can grow together in your Catholic faith. If you have not yet registered in the parish, you can you can register online or in person by stopping by the Parish Office, Mon-Fri, 9-2 pm.
As parts of the country open up from the Covid-19 pandemic, our procedures are shifting as well.
The following information is related to preparation during the Summer of 2021:
The steps involved are
1) Register in the parish. Online registration (click here) or fill out a paper form-ask for one at the office or from an Usher at Mass.
2) Fill out a baptism inquiry form. (click here).
3) Complete online Baptism preparation classes, if you have not completed one in the last 3 years. (in-person classes will resume in September).
(click here for instructions) (haga clic aquí para instrucciones). Both parents are required to participate.
4) Choose Godparents for your child, mindful that Godparents are meant to be good representatives of the Catholic faith to your child. (We encourage Godparents to be adequately formed in the faith for this role, although formal classes are not required. Formation is available using the same links in step 3 above, or have your Godparents inquire at their home parish.)
- You need at least one actively practicing Catholic who meets all of the eligibility criteria on the Godparent eligibility form (see links below).
- Each Godparent completes their own eligibility form, checks all relevant boxes, signs and gives to their home parish. The home parish signs, seals, and returns to us. This can take some time, so it is good to get this part going.
- Choose from the following forms:
- If you are an OLOL parishioner but are going to be a Godparent at another parish (baptism at another parish for OLOL parishioner form) (en Espanol)
Parents, it is recommended that you begin the process at least a few months before the birth of your child. Submit all of your paperwork to Lori@ourladyoflight.com and someone will be in touch with you shortly to work on a baptism date for your family. For urgent questions about the sacrament of Baptism, please contact Lori or 239-267-7088, x227.
Seeking Baptism in the Catholic Church as an adult? The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults is the second way in which children and adults are prepared to celebrate the sacrament of Baptism. Contact Lori Crawford for more details.
Celebration of Baptism-versary
Offer this prayer at the beginning of your Baptism–versary day